Working at a restaurant or fast food establishment is a classic way to gain experience, but there are a variety of internships, paid and unpaid, across metropolitan Atlanta that can help you get your foot in the door -- be it for a career in information technology or broadcasting. And none of them involve fried chicken (unless you’re eating at the company cafeteria).
A survey of some of Atlanta’s top employers reveals that Delta Airlines offers internships in the engineering fields (aerospace, civil, electrical, industrial, and mechanical), finance, supply chain, flight operations, cargo, and more. Meanwhile, Atlanta Spirit -- owner of the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks and NHL’s Atlanta Thrashers -- provides real-life experience in sports and entertainment including guest services, community development, marketing, communications, game operations -- even graphic design and human resources.
If you want to work in television, internships at Turner Broadcasting Systems can place you at CNN, TBS, or another of their many networks. Available specializations may include production, marketing, editorial, ad sales, and public relations.
For those interested in automotive, Manheim Automotive Service offers the opportunity to rotate through several key departments while learning about many aspects of the auto auction process. Cox Enterprises -- Manheim's parent company -- offers hands-on internships in the areas of information technology, marketing, engineering, public affairs, and human resources.
Coca-Cola has challenging and rewarding internships for undergraduate and graduate students to work in a variety of functions including marketing and finance.
A sampling of other internship opportunities in various fields includes:
- Creative Loafing - journalism and editorial including events, food & drink, music, news, photography, and video
- Atlanta Symphony Orchestra - arts management, press, advertising, education, development, and more
- Fernbank Museum of Natural History - development/fundraising, finance/accounting, F.U.N. program, membership, museum administration, and UrbanWatch Atlanta Restoration project
- Georgia-Pacific - accounting/audit & tax, logistics, and safety & health
- AT&T - leadership development, finance, career leadership & selling, and information technology
- SunTrust Bank - analyst and associate training program or internships in various fields including portfolio management and investment banking
Visit Monster College for a more complete list of internships and jobs for current students and recent graduates in Atlanta and around the U.S.
In addition, most schools have well-developed internship programs with connections at businesses throughout Atlanta. Use our quick and private forms to request more information from schools in Atlanta about their internship placement services.